Canning On The Bayou

Welcome to my little cabin kitchen on the bayou! I love to can and literally can year round. I've always been around it throughout my life because my Grandmothers and Great Grandmother all canned. I used to be so fascinated with my late Grandmother's root cellar which had rows and rows of shelves full of colorful, tasty goodies in jars. Eventually over the years, I got bit by the canning bug too! I've started this because I noticed that although there is good information out there about canning, it's more limited than what I'd like to see and I'm being asked more and more for canning advice. I hope you enjoy the recipes and stories! Happy canning!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pineapple....Lots of pineapple!!!

I made an interesting discovery a few weeks ago, Katrina LOVES pineapple so I made her four or five pints of pineapple chunks in a light syrup.  The trouble is Ernest and oldest grandson, Kyle love pineapple too and by the time things were said and done, all of the pints were gone!!!  Not only that, they wanted more...a lot more.

I don't know about how things are where you are but here our mailbox gets stuffed with the grocery store ads every Tuesday and Wednesday.  Last Wednesday, Kroger advertised buy one pineapple, get one free.  Well now...isn't that special and also convienient timing???  Friday night after work, I made a beeline over to the Galveston Kroger (I work in Galveston) and loaded up my cart with beautiful, golden pineapples.  On the way over to the meat department, this lady and her husband stopped to ask me if I knew how much the pineapples were going for and when I told them they were two for one, I'm not kidding..they hightailed it over towards produce so I assume they got some pineapples too!

Anyways, Ernest and I spent the night Saturday at little cabin on the bayou and we canned all the pineapple, much to the delight of Katrina and Kyle both.  Pineapple is one of the easiest things I can and quickest too.  It is oh so delicious too, not to mention pretty on the shelf!  Just to make things easier, I'm doing the recipe based upon four pineapples but you can change it up.  Four pineapples makes about eight pints.

Canned Pineapple Chunks

Prepare jars and water canner  Cut top and bottom off pineapples and cut sides off.  Cut pineapple into slices and cut the core out of each ring.  Cut pineapple slices into chunks and set aside.  Into a pot, add 2 1/4 cups sugar and 5 1/4 cups water to make a light syrup.  Stir until boiling.  Add pineapple chunks and cook until tender.  Ladle pineapple chunks and syrup into jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles (this means take a clean knife and run it along the inside of the jar).  Clean jar rims and screw lids onto jar finger tip tight.  Process in a water canner 15 minutes for pints.

Happy Canning!

2 comments:

  1. What a small world... My husband works in Galveston every day. Where on earth do you live. We are in Pearland. I love to pickle pineapple and dehydrate it.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in Santa Fe. It sure is a small world! I've not yet tried dehydrating but I am starting to look at that very hard and am actually looking for a dehydrater (maybe two) right now. Pickled pineapple sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete