Canning On The Bayou

Welcome to my little cabin kitchen on the bayou! I love to can and literally can year round. I've always been around it throughout my life because my Grandmothers and Great Grandmother all canned. I used to be so fascinated with my late Grandmother's root cellar which had rows and rows of shelves full of colorful, tasty goodies in jars. Eventually over the years, I got bit by the canning bug too! I've started this because I noticed that although there is good information out there about canning, it's more limited than what I'd like to see and I'm being asked more and more for canning advice. I hope you enjoy the recipes and stories! Happy canning!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day One Of The New Blog

Little Cabin Kitchen On The Bayou


This is my kitchen in our cabin at our fish camp on the bayou.  We spend many weekends there and it is a place I enjoy canning at.  What you see here is just the tip of the iceburg, I also can at the house and have so much put up there I'm thinking I need to build an addition to my house or something....lol!!  This weekend, we are making canned bologna and also pickled brussel sprouts.  The canned bologna recipe we are using actually is one that Jackie Clay (goddess of all canning) published in Backwoods Magazine.  It has taken three days to make and it is coming out awesome!  Ernest likes it especially because it is something he can take out on the boat or he and the boys can take with them on hunting trips and stuff like that.  The pickled brussel sprouts are good for cocktails or relish trays, I will use them for both.  Recipe and picture to follow later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment