Canning On The Bayou

Welcome to my little cabin kitchen on the bayou! I love to can and literally can year round. I've always been around it throughout my life because my Grandmothers and Great Grandmother all canned. I used to be so fascinated with my late Grandmother's root cellar which had rows and rows of shelves full of colorful, tasty goodies in jars. Eventually over the years, I got bit by the canning bug too! I've started this because I noticed that although there is good information out there about canning, it's more limited than what I'd like to see and I'm being asked more and more for canning advice. I hope you enjoy the recipes and stories! Happy canning!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pickled Brussel Sprouts Recipe

As promised, I am posting the recipe for Pickled Brussel Sprouts.  You can use this recipe also to make pickled green beans, just swap out the pickled green beans for the brussel sprouts.  If you make pickled green beans, I usually get about eight pounds of green beans and just snap the ends off (leave them at a good length if possible).  You then stack them lengthwise in the jars and processing time is the same in a water canner.  Anyways, this is an easy recipe to can and these are sooooo delicious!!!

Brussels sprouts


Salt for soaking

Water for soaking

1 fresh dill head - per pint jar

1 fresh garlic clove - per pint jar

1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper - per pint jar

5 cups vinegar

5 cups water

1/2 cup pickling salt

To prepare sprouts, soak for 10 minutes in a cold brine of 1 tablespoon salt to 4 cups water to drive out any bugs. Rinse well. Trim and/or peel to uniform 1-inch diameter and cut an x in the core to allow brine to penetrate.

Into each pint jar place 1 whole dill head, 1 clove fresh garlic, 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper. Prepare brine of 5 cups vinegar, 5 cups water, 1/2 cup pickling salt and bring to boil, keeping hot.

Pack spices into jars, then pack sprouts tightly into jars to within 3/4-inch from the top. Add boiling brine leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove any trapped air with non-metallic utensil, add lid and band. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Turn heat off, take lid off canner, and let jars rest in canner for five minutes before removing them.

Happy canning!

No comments:

Post a Comment